After Google Maps' release, more than 10 million people downloaded the app in 48 hours, according to Google's Jeff Huber. In the five days following its release, mobile advertising service MoPub estimates iOS 6 users increased by 29%.
When Apple released its newest version of the iPhone, it decided to replace the standard inclusion of Google Maps with its own Maps version. Apple Maps was proven quickly to be unreliable, often giving consumers wrong information and errors. Apple CEO Tim Cook eventually issued an apology for the app.
Once Google released Google Maps for iOS, it immediately hit the top of the iTunes charts.
Meanwhile, reports said Apple has been holding various discussions in attempt to improve its own Maps.
The chatter on Main Street (a.k.a. Google, Yahoo! and other search sites) is always of interest to investors on Wall Street. Thus, each day, TheStreet compiles the stories that are trending on the Web, and highlights the news that could make stocks move. -- Written by Brittany Umar.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV