The 6 th annual installment of the Motorola Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: MSI) Holiday Shopping Study found that technology continues to radically transform the traditional holiday shopping experience as 61 percent of surveyed retail managers believe that shoppers are better connected to information than in-store associates, increasing from nearly 59 percent in 2011 and 51 percent in 2010.
Surveyed shoppers echoed a similar sentiment – as nearly one-half (46 percent) of Gen Y shoppers, four in ten (38 percent) Gen X shoppers and one-third (32 percent) Boomer shoppers felt better connected to product information than associates.
According to the study, the increasing utilization of shopping-related technologies is having an impact on the shopper experience across varied age demographics.
- 64 percent of Gen Y and 52 percent of Gen X shoppers used their personal mobile device for shopping-related activities compared to only 37 percent of Boomer and less than 15 percent of pre-Boomer shoppers.
- 46 percent of Gen Y and 36 percent of Gen X shoppers agreed that they can more readily locate information on their personal mobile device rather than asking a store associate for assistance. Only 19 percent of Boomer and less than 12 percent of pre-Boomer shoppers agreed.
- 54 percent of Gen Y and 43 percent of Gen X shoppers were likely to access guest Wi-Fi for shopping-related activities. This compares to 34 percent of Boomer shoppers and 20 percent of pre-Boomer shoppers.
- Boomers are four times more likely to increase their spending as the result of a helpful associate than by using self-service technology.
KEY FACTSConnecting with Shoppers
- Almost half of surveyed shoppers (47 percent) agreed that they have a better experience when sales associates use the latest technologies to assist them.
- 48 percent of shoppers reported that helpful store associates motivated them to spend more in-store.
- More than half of surveyed shoppers (55 percent) believed that information kiosks help store associates improve the shopping experience.
- While overall customer satisfaction has risen since 2007, surveyed shoppers reported rising dissatisfaction with the return/exchange process -- 29 percent were not satisfied in-store and 45 percent were not satisfied with online experiences.
- Two-thirds (66 percent) of surveyed retail associates recognize the positive effect of mobile loyalty account access on the shopper experience.
- 82 percent of retail associates agreed that improving in-store communication between staff and managers would have a positive effect on shopper satisfaction.
- 58 percent of retail associates recognized the positive effect of mobile point of sale (mPOS) on the shopping experience.
- 36 percent of shoppers believed that store associates using tablets enhanced their shopping experience, and 59 percent of store associates agreed that they could better serve customers if they were equipped with tablets.
- Nearly eight in ten (79 percent) retail associates agreed that store management can better manage employees and operational processes when empowered with technology and better information.
- 72 percent of shopping-related walkouts resulted in lost sales – an average loss per abandonment of $156.
- Retailers can recover 69 percent of out-of-stock incidents if associates are prepared to offer shoppers the option to order the items before leaving the store and have them sent to their homes.
- 63 percent of store managers agree that they need more real-time information to better ensure customer satisfaction.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV