Actuate Corporation (NASDAQ: BIRT), The BIRT Company™ – delivering more insights to more people than all BI companies combined – today released exclusive survey results in a report entitled, “Big Data Today: How Real is it?” The report finds what portion of Global 9000 firms (companies with more than $1 billion in annual revenues) are conducting Big Data projects; details their challenges and opportunities; and shows in which operational areas they plan to use Big Data insights to drive organizational improvements.
As a leader in Big Data, Actuate partners with other leaders to provide easy access to visualize, analyze and operationalize virtually all types of structured or unstructured data. The ActuateOne ® platform continually evolves to address the growth and management of data that delivers insights to drive business effectiveness.
The research was conducted on behalf of Actuate by King Research. 516 survey responses were received, and 32% of those who completed the survey were employed by companies with revenue of $1B or more. The resulting report focuses on the responses from those at companies with revenue of $1B or more.
“The survey shows that 26 percent of companies with $1B+ in revenue are currently working on Big Data projects, 34 percent are in the evaluating and planning phase, while 40 percent have not evaluated or have evaluated and plan not to proceed,” said Ross King, Founder, King Research. “For the 40 percent who plan not to move forward on a Big Data project, they stated their major inhibitors were ‘not enough staff with expertise’ and the ‘expected cost of Big Data initiatives’.”The major benefits expected by all survey respondents from their Big Data initiatives include the ability to make better decisions, faster; gain competitive advantage; improve efficiency; and improve customer targeting. Key Findings
- The most frequently mentioned technologies evaluated or planned at $1B+ companies in descending order of mention were Apache Hadoop, Cloudera Hadoop, Apache Hive, Apache HBase, EMC Greenplum HD. The most frequently mentioned technologies in use at $1B+ companies are the same five and in the same descending order.
- Most frequently mentioned Big Data applications implemented or planned at companies with $1B+ revenue are: customer experience analysis (the most frequently cited application), customer insights, fraud prevention and analysis, market targeting, behavioral analysis, customer lifecycle analysis and operations improvement.
- Of companies currently working on Big Data projects, 73 percent share their insights with more than 500 people within their organization.
- A majority of respondents work at companies with more than 500 employees in their IT organizations. Of these respondents, a significant majority work at companies with fewer than 10 people on their Big Data teams.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV