By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Option buyers are tucking into Bed Bath & Beyond ahead of its quarterly report after Wednesday's close.
More than 5,800 February 62.50 calls traded in a strong buying pattern Tuesday, with prices rising from $1.54 to $1.95, according to OptionMonster's tracking systems. The volume was more than 3.5 times higher than the strike's open interest at the beginning of the day, indicating new activity.
The calls, which lock in the price where traders can buy the stock, are looking for shares to gain roughly 6.5% by expiration in mid-February. But if the stock is below the $62.50 strike price at that time, the calls will expire worthless.Bed Bath's shares rose 2.37% Tuesday to close at $60.39, its session high, and ticked up to $60.50 in after-hours trading. A day earlier the stock broke above its 50-day moving average for the first time since mid-September. The shares have gained despite a report by UBS that lowered its price target on Bed Bath to $64.50 from $71, citing uncertainty in consumer spending. Other home-product names, such as Williams-Sonoma and Pier 1 Imports, have reported better-than-expected numbers recently. Total option volume in Bed Bath Tuesday was more than quadruple its daily average in the last month. Calls outnumbered puts by nearly 3 to 1, a reflection of the session's bullish sentiment. Najarian has no positions in BBBY.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV