Equant, France Telecom Unit to Merge
The deal calls for Dutch-based Equant to exchange 80.6 million newly issued shares for Global One's data services business and $300 million in cash. Also, France Telecom will exchange some of its existing shares for SITA Foundation's 34% stake in Equant. The SITA Foundation, Equant's leading shareholder, provides telecommunications and information systems for the world's airline industry.
Terms have SITA marketing the services of Equant and Global One to the air transport community. France Telecom will invest $1 billion in cash in the merged companies in exchange for 10 million new Equant convertible preferred shares.
France Telecom held talks with Equant earlier this year, but nothing came of it. The French operator said in October it was still interested in Equant, but would not carry out a deal until its shares hit levels seen at the start of September. Friday, the stock closed at $91. On Sept. 1, the stock closed at $131. It had a rough two months and in the middle of October hit a low of $82.19.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV