Stratasys announced today that its founder and chairman, Scott Crump, has been inducted into IndustryWeek magazine’s Manufacturing Hall of Fame for his work in 3D printing, joining other individuals recognized for their contribution to U.S. manufacturing.
Crump is the inventor of the Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM) method of 3D printing, the most widely used additive manufacturing process. Earlier this month, Crump became the chairman of Stratasys Ltd., a new corporate entity formed by the merger of Stratasys Inc. and Objet Ltd.
3D printing (or additive manufacturing) has become more mainstream in the last few years, and although many believe it is a new process, it has existed for 25 years. Formerly called “rapid prototyping,” 3D printing was developed originally for prototyping purposes. However it is now widely used as a manufacturing process for producing finished goods in low volume.
“It’s an honor to be recognized by IndustryWeek for the achievements our team has made,” said Crump. “This recognition demonstrates the impact that 3D printing is having on the manufacturing industry and it portends a bright future for the technology.”2012 marks the fourth year of IndustryWeek’s Manufacturing Hall of Fame. The publication accepted nominations from its readers and chose ten inductees, including leaders from Boeing Co., Lockheed Martin Corp. and oth ers. Past Honorees include such names as Steve Jobs, Lee Iacocca and Jack Welch. The individuals recognized have a history of significant achievements, and they are examples of character, talent, drive and productive work that resulted in outstanding success in their respective organizations. In general, inductees’ achievements fall into one or more of the following categories:
- Significantly improving manufacturing efficiency and productivity through their process and/or technology innovations.
- Creating manufacturing companies — and even entire industries — from the ground up, through their product ideas and/or innovative approaches to doing business.
- Establishing widely accepted best practices in operational areas such as (but not limited to) management, product development, safety, purchasing, quality, and supply chain and logistics.
- Setting new standards for manufacturers in areas such as sustainability and corporate responsibility.
- Revitalizing organizations and operations through continuous improvement efforts and/or innovative business practices.
- Influencing and supporting as well as advocating for the cause of U.S. manufacturing through their research, writings, activism, policies or thought leadership.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV