NEW YORK, Dec. 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Sirius XM Radio (NASDAQ: SIRI) today announced that it will launch a special year-end pop up channel dedicated to reviewing the year that was in the world of sports. Launching Wednesday, December 26, and airing through Thursday, January 3, the channel will offer sports fans a look back at the biggest sports stories and events from 2012 with highlights, interviews and commentary from SiriusXM's many experts.
"The Year in SiriusXM Sports" channel will be available to subscribers nationwide on channel 142 on satellite radios and on channel 962 on SiriusXM.com and on the SiriusXM Internet Radio App for smartphones and other mobile devices.
Sports fans can relive the New York Giants' Super Bowl XLVI victory; the San Francisco Giants' World Series title; the Los Angeles Kings' first Stanley Cup championship; LeBron James' first title with the NBA Champion Miami Heat; the National Championship titles for the Alabama Crimson Tide football team and the Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball team; Bubba Watson's emotional Masters victory; Brad Keselowski's run to the 2012 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Championship; Europe's come-from-behind victory in the Ryder Cup, the U.S. Women's Soccer Team's Olympic gold medal victory and many more of the year's top moments."At the end of every calendar year sports fans find themselves looking back on the moments - both the highs and the lows - that defined the year in sports," said Steve Cohen, SiriusXM's SVP of Sports Programming. "SiriusXM's across-the-board lineup of sports channels and live sports coverage has covered it all, delivering our listeners interviews with key figures and the experienced perspectives of our hosts, while giving fans a place to call in and voice their feedback. 'The Year in SiriusXM Sports' brings it all together on one channel for an in-depth, comprehensive look back at the year that was." Listeners will hear highlights from interviews over the past year with many of the sports figures and others who made headlines in 2012, including:
- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell , who sat down for an exclusive SiriusXM Town Hall with SiriusXM listeners
- Super Bowl winning NY Giants QB Eli Manning , coach Tom Coughlin and owner John Mara ; star NFL rookies Robert Griffin III and Andrew Luck ; and New Orleans Saints QB Drew Brees
- Minnesota Vikings RB Adrian Peterson , the NFL's leading rusher in 2012, who was interviewed by SiriusXM NFL Radio host and 2006 NFL MVP LaDainian Tomlinson
- MLB Commissioner Bud Selig 's interview with MLB Network Radio hosts Cal Ripken Jr. and Bill Ripken at the MLB All-Star Game.
- NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Champion Brad Keselowski ; Daytona 500 winner Matt Kenseth ; Indy 500 Champion Dario Franchitti ; and NASCAR's most popular driver, Dale Earnhardt Jr.
- Notre Dame head football coach Brian Kelly ; Texas A&M QB and Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel ; Alabama QB A.J. McCarron ; Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer ; Kentucky Men's Basketball coach John Calipari ; and legendary former UConn coach Jim Calhoun , who retired after 40 years as a head coach and three National Championships
- Golf legend Arnold Palmer ; World #1 ranked golfer Rory McIlroy ; Masters Champion Bubba Watson ; US Open Champion Webb Simpson; Ryder Cup star Ian Poulter ; and World #3 Tiger Woods
- LA Kings goalie and Conn Smythe Trophy Winner Jonathan Quick
- US Women's Soccer Team goalkeeper and Olympic gold medallist Hope Solo
- New Jersey Governor Chris Christie , who joined Chris "Mad Dog" Russo to discuss the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy