WILMINGTON, Del., Dec. 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- A new year, a new financial outlook. What better way to end 2012 and kick off 2013 than by having an action plan to get your savings in high gear and build that nest egg you've longed for as much as getting into your skinny jeans. According to the fourth annual holiday shopping survey from ING DIRECT (to be rebranded Capital One 360 in 2013), Americans are looking to cross one New Year's resolution off their lists by being cash conscious with their holiday shopping. More than three out of four Americans are purchasing gifts with cash or a debit card this year and more than three out of five (63 percent) Americans are spending the same on holiday gifts as they did last year.
Fattening up your Wallet in 2013
As the time honored tradition of making aspirational resolutions approaches, 70 percent of Americans ages 18 to 34, say they will start saving more when the calendar turns to welcome the New Year. Overall, nearly half (49 percent) of respondents are going to kick-start savings plans."This year's holiday shopper is taking the smartest approach to gift buying by sticking to what they can afford and positioning themselves for a worry-free start to 2013," said Jim Kelly, Head of Direct Bank, Capital One. "Even better, people are making their financial resolutions before or during the shopping season. Recognizing the invaluable benefits of proper budgeting is critical and by focusing on savings, consumers can boast a fresh slate and achieve the financial freedom they resolve to achieve in the New Year." According to respondents who are making financial resolutions, 38 percent plan on investing more for retirement and 33 percent will reduce or eliminate credit card debt in 2013. The Orange Savings Account SM and Kids Savings Account have tools that help Customers plan and save for such goals:
- My Savings Goals: Customers can easily articulate their New Year's saving aspirations by creating customized nicknames for each goal they set up.
- Automatic Savings Plan: Set it and forget it. Customers can maximize their savings by having a fixed amount of money regularly transferred to any of their accounts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV