PLEASANTON, Calif., Dec. 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Safeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY) today furthered its commitment to animal welfare by becoming the first major grocery retailer in the United States to make a national commitment to Certified Humane ® cage-free eggs and by surpassing its sourcing and sales goals for cage-free eggs.
In 2008, Safeway began an initiative with existing suppliers to have all Lucerne Cage-Free and O Organics shell eggs sourced from farms that are Certified Humane ®. In 2010, Safeway announced a goal of increasing sales of cage-free eggs from 6 percent to 12 percent of the shell egg category within two years. Today more than 15 percent of overall egg sales in the category are cage-free eggs. In addition, the company added the Open Nature label to the Certified Humane ® program this year. Safeway stated it will continue to expand the campaign as their customers respond to the initiative.
"Safeway's commitment has been unique and impressive," said Adele Douglass, Founder and CEO of Humane Farm Animal Care ("HFAC"), a nonprofit organization that developed and administers the Certified Humane ® labeling program for eggs, meat, dairy and poultry products. "Safeway's suppliers had to make the changes necessary to become certified. As a result, Safeway and its suppliers have had a major impact on improving the humane treatment of laying hens in the U.S. Safeway's leadership is unparalleled within the retail food industry."
Safeway's Quality Assurance team worked with HFAC in this effort because HFAC is widely known for its comprehensive and trustworthy labeling program, which carries third-party, independent certification for the O Organics and Open Nature Brands. In order to qualify for the Certified Humane ® label, an egg farm must meet the following animal welfare standards:
- Cages are not permitted and the housing facilities must include areas for hens to nest, dust bath, scratch and perch.
- Animals have ample space, shelter and gentle handling to limit stress.
- Animals must have access to ample fresh water and a healthy diet of quality feed with no animal by product.
- Egg lifecycle has no added antibiotics due to hens living in more humane conditions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV