DETROIT, Dec. 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- Ford Motor Company Fund announces $10 million program in Detroit, including a community center, new youth recreation and summer camp, support for education and summer job programs
- The new Ford Resource and Engagement Center in southwest Detroit will offer community gathering space with a Gleaners client choice food service center, cultural and job training opportunities, and other community services
- New program builds on major ongoing investments by Ford Fund in nonprofits and community initiatives throughout southeast Michigan
Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F) and its community relations arm, Ford Motor Company Fund (Ford Fund), today announced the launch of a major program in
Detroit to strengthen neighborhoods and provide support for education, summer jobs programs and other community needs.
The $10 million program, called Operation Brighter Future – Detroit, augments Ford Fund's ongoing community partnerships, as well as support for southeast Michigan nonprofits for community development, cultural and many other programs. The support has totaled approximately $60 million during the past five years.
The centerpiece of the program is the new Ford Resource and Engagement Center. It will be opened at the Mexicantown Mercado building in southwest Detroit. Under the arrangement, the building – which has been unused in recent years – will offer cultural and job training programs and other community services, including a Gleaners client choice food service center. Ford Fund will provide funding to local nonprofits to implement these programs and also provide the resources to operate the facility for at least four years.
"The Mexicantown Community Development Corporation (MCDC) board of directors is proud to partner with Ford Motor Company Fund and the city of Detroit to provide comprehensive programming at the Mexicantown Mercado that aligns with its original purpose as a community resource," said Hector Hernandez, chairman emeritus of the MCDC board. "Ford, the city and MCDC are all committed to providing the highest-quality services to the southwest Detroit community within the Mercado, and we envision exciting cultural programming on the soon-to-be enhanced plaza space, complete with a new water fountain feature to extend this extraordinary exterior community plaza."Ford also is announcing it will "adopt" the Patton Recreation Center in southwest Detroit. Presently designated as a senior center, Ford will provide funding to add a wide variety of youth programming at the center, including arts, gymnastics, lacrosse, karate and swimming. In addition, Ford will provide funding for the Brighter Future Summer Camp at Patton Recreation Center. The camp will offer 80 to 90 youth a meaningful and fun youth summer camp experience. Ford Fund also will provide a limited number of scholarships for youth to attend Camp Brighter Future.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV