"PSEP is a multi-year program that will enhance the safety and reliability of our natural gas transmission pipelines in communities throughout our service area. It will help us to assess our pipeline system and improve the delivery of safe, reliable and affordable natural gas to our customers," said Jesus Soto Jr., senior vice president of Gas Transmission Operations for PG&E.
This year, in addition to validating the safe operating pressure of 194 miles of pipeline, PG&E has made significant progress in improving transmission pipeline safety and reliability including:
- Installing more than 34 miles of new transmission pipeline in urban areas.
- Installing 37 automated valves in urban or active seismic fault crossing areas to allow for remote or automated shut-off in the event of a rupture. Fifty valves have been completed since the program commenced in 2011.
- Retrofitting 78 miles of pipeline to accommodate state-of-the-art in-line inspection tools known as "smart pigs."
In 2013, the utility plans to further increase its pipeline safety actions, with plans to strength test more than 200 miles of pipeline, replace more than 60 miles of pipeline and automate 75 valves – all in addition to work completed to date.
To learn more about how PG&E conducts hydrostatic pressure testing and what to expect if testing is planned for your area, visit www.pge.com/gas.Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE:PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric utilities in the United States. Based in San Francisco, with 20,000 employees, the company delivers some of the nation's cleanest energy to 15 million people in Northern and Central California. For more information, visit: http://www.pge.com/about/newsroom/ and www.pgecurrents.com. SOURCE Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV