Evidence Insufficient To Recommend Routine Antibiotics For Joint Replacement Patients Who Undergo Dental Procedures
The "Prevention of Orthopaedic Implant Infection in Patients Undergoing Dental Procedures" guideline replaces the previous AAOS Information Statement, "Antibiotic Prophylaxis for Bacteremia in Patients with Joint Replacement." The full guideline along with all supporting documentation and workgroup disclosures is available on the AAOS website: http://www.aaos.org/guidelines and the ADA website: http://www.ada.org/2583.aspx?currentTab=2#replace .
1) HCUPnet. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP). 1993-2010. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. http://hcupnet.ahrq.gov/ Accessed November 29, 2012.
2) Della Valle CJ, Zuckerman JD, Di Cesare PE. Periprosthetic Sepsis. Clin Orthop 2004;(420):26-31.
3) American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the American Dental Association Prevention of Orthopaedic Implant Infection in Patients Undergoing Dental Procedures Guideline. Rosemont (IL): AAOS: 2012.More about AAOS Evidence-based Clinical Practice GuidelinesThis guideline is an educational tool to guide clinicians through treatment decisions in an effort to improve the quality and effectiveness of care. This guideline should not be construed as including all methods of care or excluding methods of care reasonably directed to obtaining the same results. The decision regarding any specific procedure or treatment must be made in light of all circumstances presented by the patient, the needs and resources particular to the locality or institution, and the clinical judgment of the provider. About the American Academy of Orthopaedic SurgeonsThe American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) is the premier not-for-profit organization that helps excel the orthopaedic practice through educational programming for orthopaedic surgeons and allied health professionals. The Academy champions the interests of patients and advances the highest quality of bone and joint health. Founded in 1933, AAOS has more than 37,000 orthopaedic surgeon members that specialize in the treatment, both surgical and nonsurgical, of injuries to the musculoskeletal system, including bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, muscles and nerves. The members of the Academy aim to increase people's quality of life by improving mobility, reducing pain, and returning patients to their jobs and hobbies. For more information on bone and joint health, visit orthoinfo.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV