BOSTON, Dec. 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Block & Leviton LLP ( www.blockesq.com), a Boston-based law firm representing investors nationwide, has commenced an investigation into possible breaches of fiduciary duty by the Board of Directors of Greenbrier Companies Inc. ("Greenbrier" or the "Company") (NYSE:GBX) concerning the proposed acquisition of the Company by American Railcar Industries, Inc. ("ARI") (NASDAQ-NMS:ARII), a company controlled by activist investor Carl Icahn ("Icahn"), in an all-cash transaction.
Under the terms of the proposed offer, ARI would acquire Greenbrier in a cash deal for approximately $20.00 per Greenbrier share, setting a value for the Company at approximately $543 million. However, this price would fail to take into account the fact that Greenbrier common stock has been steadily climbing, gaining 36% in just the past month. Moreover, the proposed offer price represents only two-thirds the offer price of the most recent attempt to merge Greenbrier and ARI. Likewise, the offer price is barely a five percent premium to the previous day's closing price. Similarly, the Company's intrinsic value is $28.56, as measured by the Thomson Reuters StarMine model. The Starmine model measures how much a stock should be worth by considering expected growth rates. Finally, at least one analyst has set a target price of $35.00 per share for the Company, and the mean analyst target price is $20.60. As such, it appears that the potential transaction offers insufficient recognition of Greenbrier's growth potential.
Block & Leviton's investigation seeks to determine, among other things, whether Greenbrier's Directors breach their fiduciary duties through a failure to maximize shareholder value in the potential acquisition by ARI and the overall fairness of the process by which the Greenbrier Directors considered and approved the transaction.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV