DALLAS, Dec. 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today announced the availability of a new development kit that brings Android 4.1.2 ("Jelly Bean") to TI's Sitara™ ARM® AM335x Cortex™-A8 processors. This complete software offering allows innovators to fully evaluate Android 4.1.2 on embedded applications running on TI's Sitara processors for easier navigation that is up to two times faster than the previous version of Android. For more information or to download the free development kit, click here.
Sitara ARM developers can now take advantage of Android 4.1.2 for feature-rich, low-power applications, including wearable gadgets such as watches, goggles, display panels for home appliances and automation, enterprise tablets, point-of-sale terminals, portable navigation devices and industrial automation.
Faster, smoother and more responsive
Complete with pre-integrated connectivity and 3D graphics capabilities, the Android 4.1.2 Development Kit provides a stable software foundation for Sitara AM335x processor-based products. To help developers quickly and easily integrate and evaluate Android-based applications, the development kit is fully tested using the Android compatibility test suite on the AM335x evaluation module (EVM), AM335x Starter Kit and BeagleBone development boards, and a number of BeagleBone Cape Plug-in Boards such as the LCD7 Cape, DVI-D Cape and Camera Cape.TI's Android 4.1.2 Development Kit also features:
- Integrated Android Open Accessory protocol support, allowing connectivity to any Android-based accessory with AM335x products.
- Haptics feedback, accelerometer, and ambient light sensors.
- Soft navigation keys, supported on landscape displays to help customers build products without any mechanical keys on-board.
- Multiple USB features, including USB pen drive support and USB-based camera capture and preview.
- 3D graphics using Imagination Technologies' POWERVR™ SGX OpenGL® accelerator drivers and libraries.
- Application notes, guides and test results to help developers with their designs.
- Full-featured AM335x EVM ( TMDXEVM3558) for $995.
- AM335x Starter Kit ( TMDSSK3358) for $199
- BeagleBone from www.beagleboard.org for $89.
- BeagleBone Cape Plug-in Boards from www.beaglebonecapes.com
- Support for Linux, Android and Windows Embedded Compact 7 operating systems
- Compatible security solutions and real-time operating systems available from third parties, enabling further product customization and simplifying development
- StarterWare software package, allowing developers to program these processors like a microcontroller, without requiring an operating system
- TI EZ SDK, allowing demo in minutes and development in less than an hour
- TI's Android software development kit
- Sitara's software portfolio
- Join the TI E2E™ community
- Check out ArowBoat's community page
- Follow TI on Twitter
- Like TI on Facebook