NEW YORK, Dec. 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- JetBlue Airways (Nasdaq: JBLU), New York's Hometown Airline™, today announced a special donation made by its crewmembers and customers to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Sandy Relief efforts in the New York metro-area. Following Hurricane Sandy JetBlue quickly mobilized and launched jetbluegives.org to engage customers and TrueBlue members in fund raising efforts for the Red Cross. Throughout November, customers donated $720,000 to support the relief and recovery efforts of impacted communities. JetBlue matched the first $100,000 bringing the grand total to $820,000. On Monday, Dec.17, Rob Maruster, JetBlue's chief operating officer (COO), and Robin Hayes, JetBlue's chief commercial officer (CCO) were joined by two customers that donated via jetbluegives.org . Niki Glarkis and Rosalind Sutherland represented the more than 7,400 JetBlue customers and TrueBlue members that gave so generously.
"As Board Chair for the Red Cross of Greater New York and Chief Operating Officer at JetBlue Airways, I am personally invested in this partnership and excited to provide these funds courtesy of our generous customers to relief efforts in the tri-state area," said Rob Maruster, JetBlue's chief operating officer. "JetBlue is so grateful to our customers for their immediate response providing funds to the Red Cross. The giving spirit of our customers will provide much needed support and resources for those affected by Hurricane Sandy."
Following their donation, many customers shared comments, feedback and advice for the victims of Hurricane Sandy including the following:
- Niki Glarakis shared "Being a resident of Long Island I was affected by Sandy by losing power for a few days, however nowhere near the damage I saw in other areas. I knew I had to and felt obligated to help the communities that were hit hard by Sandy. It is heartbreaking to see the amount of loss and devastation Sandy left. I also donated money since JetBlue is a company that showed initiative to help. I did what I could and thank the many people and companies like JetBlue, who have made a difference. We will rebuild again."
- Rosalind Sutherland commented, "I live in New Orleans, so I am very aware of the emotional toll of living through a disaster. My advice to the victims of Sandy is to take one day at a time, one task at a time and don't try to go it alone. Remember that there are people who you will never see or meet, who are sharing what they can (money, clothing, volunteering, etc.) and praying for your safety and well-being. Hang in there!"
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV