While Congress and the White House work to determine the fate of tax cuts and hikes for 2013, small business owners should use the remaining weeks of 2012 to finalize year-end tax planning and take a close look at ways to reduce their tax liability. Paychex, Inc., a leading provider of payroll, human resource, and benefits outsourcing solutions for small- to medium-sized businesses, has identified the following tips to help small business owners take advantage of tax regulations and credits available for the 2012 tax year.
- Move up bonuses – Employers may want to consider accelerating bonuses or other incentive compensation payments into this year if it appears that policymakers will not reach an agreement by year end to extend the lower tax rates currently scheduled to end in 2012.
- Make planned asset purchases now - Businesses are permitted to take a Section 179 deduction for the full purchase price of qualifying assets, such as equipment, computers or software, purchased during the tax year to lower their taxable gross income. However, without Congressional action, the limit of this deduction is scheduled to dramatically decrease in 2013. For assets that don’t qualify for the Section 179 deduction, small businesses can also take advantage of a 50 percent bonus first-year depreciation allowance on certain assets placed in service during 2012; this benefit is also set to expire at year end without legislation extending it.
- Start a retirement plan - If you are considering offering a retirement plan for your employees, doing so before the end of the year could provide tax benefits. Your business might be eligible for a $500 tax credit for the first three years of your plan to help defray setup costs. In addition, any employer contributions to employee plans enjoy tax deductions, and a business owner can realize personal tax savings by contributing to a plan.
- Small business tax credit - A tax credit is available to certain small businesses to encourage them to offer health insurance coverage. Generally, the credit is available to small employers that pay at least half the cost of single coverage for their employees.
- Hire a veteran – The Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) for hiring qualifying veterans is scheduled to expire at the end of the year. The credit can range from $2,400 to $9,600, depending on certain factors, including how long the veteran has been out of work and whether they have a service-connected disability.
“With the potential tax increases and government spending cuts planned for 2013, it’s important for small business owners to understand how they could be impacted,” said Martin Mucci, Paychex president and CEO. “Now is the time for business owners to re-examine their upcoming business needs and determine where they can make adjustments that will allow them to take advantage of the tax benefits currently available.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV