TORONTO, Dec. 18, 2012 /CNW/ - PowerShares Canada announced today that the S&P 500 ® Low Volatility Index has received the prestigious William F. Sharpe Indexing Product of the Year award at the Global Indexing & ETFs conference held in Phoenix, Arizona.
Created by S&P Dow Jones Indices, the S&P 500 ® Low Volatility Index was recognized as having the most significant impact on the indexing industry over the previous 12 months. The index tracks the 100 stocks from the S&P 500 ® Index with the lowest realized volatility over the past 252 trading days, and is rebalanced on a quarterly basis.
TSX-listed PowerShares S&P 500 Low Volatility (CAD Hedged) Index ETF (ULV) is designed to track the S&P 500 ® Low Volatility Index (CAD Hedged), which provides investors with exposure to a currency hedged version of the same strategy.
"Recognizing the best and the brightest innovators in the field of indexing, this year's Sharpe Award is further validation that low-volatility indexing is a viable, long-term strategy that offers investors a layer of protection against declining market environments while still maintaining broad equity exposure," said Michael Cooke, Head of Distribution for PowerShares Canada, part of Invesco Canada Ltd."While investors have generally equated low volatility with low returns, many are realizing that low-volatility strategies can have a better risk-return profile relative to those that provide exposure to traditional market-cap-weighted indices," Cooke added. Leading the Intelligent ETF Revolution ®, PowerShares Canada was early to recognize the advantages of low-volatility investing. Based on the highly regarded S&P Dow Jones Indices, the PowerShares Canada family of low-volatility ETFs provides investors with investment opportunities across key market segments:
- PowerShares S&P 500 Low Volatility (CAD Hedged) Index ETF (TSX:ULV)
- PowerShares S&P/TSX Composite Low Volatility Index ETF (TSX:TLV).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV