The sectors have come with different levels of risk. While energy stocks are volatile, consumer staples deliver steady results.
Because the sectors vary so much, they can be used to implement precise strategies, says Baiocchi. Say you want to turn defensive and prepare for volatile times. You can overweight steady sectors, including telecom and health care.
Or suppose you believe that the economy is about to boom. You could overweight the sectors that do the best in good times, including technology, industrials and materials. An investor who wants broad diversification can include a pair of sectors with low correlations, such as technology and utilities.
What sector funds should you use? Baiocchi likes the choices from the major providers, including iShares, SPDR, and Vanguard. For financial exposure, he recommends iShares Dow Jones U.S. Financial Sector Index (IYF), SPDR Financial Select Sector (XLF) and Vanguard Financials (VFH). But he cautions against mixing funds from the different sector families in the same portfolio. Because the companies use a variety of selection systems, a group of funds from different families may not provide the diversification that investors expect.So far Baiocchi's research has not caused many investors to abandon their value funds. This year iShares Russell 1000 Value and Vanguard Value have each reported inflows of more than $1 billion. But Baiocchi hopes that his study will start a conversation about the role that sector funds could play in portfolios. Follow @StanLuxenberg This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV