Gun Rights, Safer Children and the Culture Wars
The real answer lies in decoding a vexing paradox in our culture. By all statistics, Americans are becoming less violent and safer -- overall, violent crimes are down dramatically. Yet, in inner cities, murder frequently takes the lives of young men, and more broadly, in shopping malls, schools and other large public venues, the deranged are drawn to ever more frequent, horrendous acts.
Simply, the marginalized and disaffected among us too often view life cheaply.
That's not TV violence working on the psyche of a entire generation -- most children are growing up to be less inclined toward violence than their parents and grandparents.
More likely, it's a society with culture wars that characterize some folks as "takers" instead of "makers," because they don't have the skills to participate in the mainstream, or as "freeloaders" or "oppressors" on the basis of race, gender or other characteristics.Politicians and pundits too often vilify groups to gain advantage, and may well do more to manufacture young men who pull triggers from the pits of mental desperation than super heroes firing laser guns on Saturday morning TV. More self-control in rhetoric and authentic mutual respect could give us a civility and more embracing culture that diminishes the prospects for more tragedies like Newtown, Aurora, and wherever violent dysfunction visits next. Follow @PMorici1
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV