Amazon could also offer an option at checkout that provides same-day home delivery and a Geek Squad member to set up a product and educate the buyer on it in their home.
Of course, the two companies would split fee-based revenue on these transactions. To sweeten the pot for Amazon, Best Buy might even have to work some sort of deal where, in exchange for an equity investment from the company, it shares a portion of its overall revenue with Amazon.
Sounds crazy, but it's nothing compared to the fleecing Apple (AAPL) gives wireless carriers who subsidize iPhones or the beating big content programmers put on cable and satellite operators.
Desperate times call for desperate measures. Amazon is taking revenue from Best Buy no matter what. If Best Buy can find a way to make a partnership attractive, the revenue doesn't merely evaporate into Bezos' pockets and Best Buy can become relevant again.Brick and mortar: Earlier this month, Bezos told Charlie Rose he would not rule out erecting physical Amazon locations. It would have to make sense and be unique. Any partnership with Best Buy could include full rights to a handful of its retail locations where Amazon could open up flagship stores. This is all back of the envelope brainstorming, but you get the point. There are people jettisoned from Best Buy who wanted to have this type of conversation. I am certain that folks with the same or similar sentiment still exist at the company. Why Best Buy would stifle such creativity is beyond me. I'm not sure who is responsible -- the previous management regime, the current CEO, the board or another bloc -- but somebody needs to get to the bottom of this and demand change, not lip service. Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV