VANCOUVER, British Columbia, Dec. 17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- St. Elias Mines Ltd. (TSX-V: SLI), (U.S. Clearing Symbol: SELSF), (Frankfurt Exchange: EKL) announced today that ISS Proxy Advisory Services, a leading independent international corporate governance analysis and proxy advisory firm, has recommended that its clients vote the WHITE proxy for the St. Elias nominees for the Board of Directors at the Annual General and Special Meeting of Shareholders (the "Meeting"). The Meeting is scheduled for December 27, 2012.
ISS made its recommendation after considering the best interests of shareholders and after reviewing the issues advanced by St. Elias and by Gilby Len Hastman and Darcy Kim Hastman, who are attempting to seize control of the St. Elias Board. The recommendations of ISS are intended to assist shareholders in making voting choices regarding proxy voting decisions.
In recommending that its clients vote FOR the St. Elias nominees on the WHITE proxy, ISS stated, among other things, that:
- Shareholders are better off by retaining the existing board.
- The dissidents have not made a compelling case that a change in control of the board is necessary or preferable to the incumbent board's oversight or strategic plan going forward.
- The dissidents have not submitted a detailed business plan and have not presented a convincing case for shareholders to support them.
"We appreciate ISS' recommendation and advise shareholders to accept their advice and vote the WHITE proxy," said Lori McClenahan, President and Chief Executive Officer of St. Elias. "Management's nominees look forward to working to advance our exploration properties and to continue to strengthen our governance, communication and operational processes for the benefit of all shareholders."St. Elias also advised shareholders that on late Friday afternoon, the Hastmans filed a petition to the Supreme Court of British Columbia. The petition names the Company and its directors as respondents whereby the Hastmans are seeking an order that the part of the Company's articles which bar Mr. Rainbird and Mr Defreitas from being elected as directors are inoperative or of no effect for the purpose of the Meeting or, alternatively that the Meeting be rescheduled into 2013. This would have the effect of indirectly achieving the same goal. The Petition is scheduled to be heard on December 18, 2012. About St. Elias St. Elias is a gold focused exploration company led by an experienced management team and active in Peru and British Columbia. St. Elias' properties have high potential and are located in two of the most prolific mining regions of the world. For additional information on St. Elias and its projects, please visit us at www.steliasmines.com or call Danny Aaron at 1-888-895-5522 (toll free US and Canada). ST. ELIAS MINES LTD. (signed " Lori McClenahan") Lori McClenahan, President Neither the TSX Venture Exchange nor its Regulation Services Provider (as that term is defined in policies of the TSX Venture Exchange) accepts responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release. This News Release may contain forward-looking statements including, but not limited to, comments regarding the timing and content of upcoming work programs, geological interpretations, potential mineral recovery processes, etc. Forward-looking statements address future events and conditions and therefore involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from those currently anticipated in such statement. Telephone: (604) 669-4677Facsimile: (604) 669-9626Toll Free: (888) 895-5522
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV