Weak Job Growth Darkens Outlook For Savers
The November jobs report gave a mixed message on the state of the economy. That seems appropriate given the way 2012 has been, but it clouds the outlook for savings accounts and other deposits in 2013.
A strengthening economy would be a potential boost for interest rates on savings accounts and money market accounts, which have largely been near zero in 2012. In recent weeks, the economy seemed to be gathering momentum as it headed towards the new year, but this employment report paints a less optimistic picture.
What to make of job growth?
The Bureau of Labor Statistics announced that U.S. employment grew by 146,000 jobs in November. That's a solid if not spectacular number, but disappointing in the context of previous reports, which showed 148,000 new jobs in September and 171,000 in October.
What's worse is that those prior figures were revised downward significantly -- September's from 148,000 to 132,000 and October's from 171,000 to 138,000. That's a total of 49,000 fewer new jobs than previously thought. Subtract those downward revisions from November's figure, and the latest report actually represented an increase in overall employment of less than 100,000 new jobs.To put this in context, here is a scorecard you can use to evaluate the strength of these monthly employment reports in the current economy:
- Negative job growth = slipping towards recession
- Less than 100,000 new jobs = anemic growth
- Between 100,000 and 200,000 = mildly encouraging
- Between 200,000 and 300,000 = a clear step in the right direction
- Over 300,000 new jobs = an economy running full steam ahead
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV