TSX:RMX | NYSE.MKT:RBY
TORONTO, Dec. 17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ - Rubicon Minerals Corporation (TSX: RMX | NYSE-MKT: RBY) (" Rubicon") has learned via press reports that, on December 17, 2012, Wabauskang First Nation ("WFN") instructed its lawyers to file a lawsuit related to Rubicon's Phoenix Gold Project in Red Lake, Ontario. At this time, since it has received no notice from WFN, the details of its lawsuit are unknown to Rubicon.
By way of background, Rubicon has been engaged in discussions and consultation with WFN since January of 2009. As part its Closure Plan obligations, Rubicon confirmed its intention to continue to consult with WFN with respect to the Phoenix Gold Project.
Rubicon has, in good faith, met with the community representatives of WFN and other Aboriginal Communities to ensure their interests have been heard and incorporated into the planning process. Some of the efforts made by Rubicon with respect to WFN are as follows:
- as noted above, discussed and consulted WFN directly since January 2009;
- provided funding to WFN pursuant to its Consultation & Accommodation Protocol for environmental reviews, legal assistance, financial analyses, a traditional use study, travel, per diems and honorariums;
- worked with an independent environmental consultant selected by WFN and funded by Rubicon who completed an environmental review of the entire Phoenix Gold Project;
- in addition to addressing impacts related to Aboriginal and Treaty rights, Rubicon has agreed to implement every recommended impact mitigation measure suggested by WFN through its environmental consultant and has incorporated these commitments in the Closure Plan. These commitments include, but are not limited to, hiring an Environmental Monitor, funding a Project Committee to facilitate ongoing consultation and funding independent reviews of future permit applications; and
- has been involved in good faith negotiations with WFN in an attempt to reach an economic accommodation under the terms of a benefits agreement. While the content of these discussions remain confidential, Rubicon is intent in continuing these negotiation with WFN.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV