News Summary: Metals Fall On Manufacturing Data
By The Associated Press
SLUGGISH METALS: Copper, silver and other industrial metals fell after a new survey showed manufacturing declined in December the New York area. It reflects a nationwide trend of sluggish manufacturing because of slower economic growth.
GOLD PERKS UP: Gold prices rose slightly on encouraging signs about U.S. budget negotiations. Unless a budget is in place Jan. 1, spending cuts and tax hikes will go into effect that some economists believe will push the U.S. into recession.
PRICE MIX: Prices rose for gold, oil and natural gas. Wheat and corn fell while soybeans were flat.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV