Canadians volunteer over 130,000 hours for charity
- Canadians surpass goal of 125,000 hours
- Société pour les Enfants Handicapés du Québec receives $10,000 donation
WATERLOO, ON, Dec. 17, 2012 /CNW/ - Launched during National Volunteer Week in April 2012, Canadians collectively pledged just over 130,000 hours of volunteer work to causes near and dear to their hearts during Manulife Financial's DRIVE to 125 initiative.
In celebration of its 125 th anniversary, Manulife began the DRIVE to 125 social-cause campaign to help encourage and promote volunteerism by encouraging Canadians to collectively pledge 125,000 volunteer hours. "At Manulife we believe that every volunteer, every volunteer act and every hour given back is an investment in the future of all Canadians," said Nicole Boivin, Chief Branding and Communications Officer at Manulife Financial. "The fact that we surpassed our goal is a great testament to the generosity and giving nature of our citizens."
Promoted on the Get Volunteering Facebook page, Canadians were asked to pledge volunteer hours and register for a chance to win a donation for a charity of their choice. The campaign ended on December 5 th, 2012, a date recognized worldwide as the United Nation's International Volunteer Day for Economic and Social Development.The draw winner was DRIVE to 125 participant Marc-Antoine Charette. He has directed the $10,000 donation to the Société pour les Enfants Handicapés du Québec/Quebec Society for Disabled Children. "I was thrilled to find out I was the DRIVE to 125 winner," shared Marc-Antoine Charette. "Manulife's donation will enable the Quebec Society for Disabled Children's volunteers and employees to continue their important work with disabled kids and, on their behalf, let me say thank you!" "For 85 years, no one has worked more passionately for the Quebec Society for Disabled Children than our volunteers -the selfless people who keep us going," said Ronald Davidson, Executive Director. "That's why we're taking up Manulife's initiative to inspire a whole new generation of volunteers like Marc-Antoine. Their contribution will help the most vulnerable in our communities reach their full potential." Highlights from DRIVE to 125, including a breakdown of the pledged volunteer hours by category and region, can be found on the Get Volunteering Facebook page.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV