Smashing Big Banks Only the First Step: Opinion
However, there is a much broader point to be made here. The banking oligopoly is only one form of this economic cancer that has ravaged the global economy in general, and Western economies in particular.
The multi-billion oligarchs have been permitted by our governments to divide and plunder most of the global economy with oligopolies in virtually every nook and cranny of our societies.
Yes, the big banks must be smashed, reduced to a tiny fraction of their current size, and never permitted to swell to such a predatory/parasitic size ever again. But what must be understood is that all of these oligopolies extort money from our societies in one way or another.
While the handouts to the Wall Street vampires have been the largest and most visible form of corporate welfare/extortion, corporate "subsidies" across the West now amount to $trillions per year in one form or another, and continue to grow.Cancer comes in many forms, yet there is broad consensus of the need to eradicate all forms of this disease. Oligopolies and monopolies also come in many forms, and it is equally imperative that we develop a consensus on the need to eradicate this "disease." This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage. Follow @bullionbulls
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV