TUCSON, Ariz., Dec. 17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The U.S. Navy awarded Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) a $108 million contract for continued production of Standard Missile-2 all-up rounds, a majority of which will be sold to U.S. allies through foreign military sales. This award brings the total fiscal year 2011 contract value to more than $200 million.
"The U.S. Navy has committed to supporting SM-2 past 2035, and this contract award reflects our international partners' desire to maintain this key defensive asset in their inventories," said Michael Campisi, Raytheon Missile Systems' senior director for SM-2 and SM-6 production. "The SM-2 production line is open for all our allies' requirements, and there will be full mission support available throughout the lifecycle of this critical asset."
SM-2 is deployed by the U.S. and eight allied navies. The missile provides high- and low-altitude intercept capabilities and performance against advanced anti-ship missile threats.
"SM-2 has been the primary surface-to-air fleet-air defense weapon of choice for decades," said Campisi. "It's an extremely effective, relevant weapon that will continue to protect navies around the globe for many years to come."About Standard Missile-2SM-2 is the world's premier fleet-area air defense weapon, providing protection from a wide range of advanced threats.
- SM-2 has been integrated with both Aegis and non-Aegis combat weapon systems.
- The missile can be launched from the MK-41, MK-13 and MK-26 launchers.
- SM-2 has an extensive flight test history of more than 2,500 successful flight tests.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV