Advanced Cell Technology, Inc. (“ACT”; OTCBB: ACTC or the “Company”), a leader in the field of regenerative medicine, today announced treatment of the fifth and sixth patients in the company’s European clinical trial for Stargardt’s Macular Dystrophy (SMD) using retinal pigment epithelial (RPE) cells derived from human embryonic stem cells (hESCs), completing the second patient cohort. The patients were injected with 100,000 hESC-derived RPE cells, as compared to 50,000 cells in the first cohort. The outpatient transplantation surgeries were performed successfully and the patients are recovering uneventfully.
“Having completed the second, higher-dose patient cohort in all three of our clinical trials in the U.S. and Europe, we are now officially at the halfway point in all three, which we find very gratifying,” commented Gary Rabin, chairman and CEO of ACT. “We have been able to add new trials sites and consequently to quicken the pace of patient enrollment in our ongoing trials. We feel this should also serve to hasten the pace at which we are able to complete the second half of the trials.”
The E.U. clinical trial is one of the three trials being carried out by the company in the U.S. and Europe. Each trial will enroll a total of 12 patients, with cohorts of three patients in an ascending dosage format. These trials are prospective, open-label studies designed to determine the safety and tolerability of hESC-derived RPE cells following sub-retinal transplantation into patients with dry AMD or SMD at 12 months, the study’s primary endpoint. Preliminary results from the two U.S. trials were reported in The Lancet earlier this year.
“Completing the higher-cell dosage in all three of our trials is a significant milestone in our RPE program,” said Robert Lanza, M.D., ACT’s chief scientific officer. “At our current pace of patient treatments, we should be on track to complete all three trials in 2013.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV