Connecticut Shooting: Details Emerge (Update 4)
Those having difficulties coping with the grief are encouraged to reach out to the Yale Crisis Team at (203) 270-4283.
The following was posted Dec. 15 at 10:37 a.m. ET
There are still more questions than answers.A press conference was aired on several stations shortly after 10 am on Saturday, Dec. 15, about 24 hours after Adam Lanza opened fire inside the Sandy Hook Elementary in Newton, CT. Lt. Paul Vance of the Connecticut State Police said all bodies have been identified. The next of kin have been notified and the list of victims' names will be released; Vance also asked the media to respect the privacy of the victims' families. Without much details, mental health issues and gun control debates are in focus. Lanza killed 26 people at the school, including 20 children, according to The Associated Press. Lanza also killed himself and his mother, toting three of six guns registered to her. The principal and several teachers also lost their lives after Lanza forced his way into the school, according to Vance. There is a disturbing pattern of mass gun violence in America, as MSNBC confirms this as the second worst mass shooting in 30 years (after Virginia Tech, in terms of body count). About 47% of American families own guns. Gun control advocates want to see more legislation. Vance says people in the community who want to talk about the tragedy should call the Crisis Intervention Center 203-270-4283. More details will follow as they unfold, he said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV