What Happens If Your Bank Account Is Hacked?
You can make your passwords as long and as random as you like, but the complexity of a password is irrelevant if you hand it to a criminal willfully.
Stashing your money under your mattress is much less safe. When you don't like dealing with banks because you already believe that these corporations are evil, stories like those that create fear are particularly resonant. News of major security threats seem confirm the skeptic's opinion that money is only safe when it's cold, hard cash, not bits in a bank's computer. The threat of your house being robbed and criminals being able to find your hidden bills or walk away with your safe is much more likely than losing money due to cyber crime.
Many people seem to be taking this particular threat lightly, and that's a good thing. “Let them come take my $1.50.” Perhaps a sign of the economic times, bank customers reacting to the news seem hopeful the criminals will forget their true intent or press the wrong button and deposit cash into these bank accounts.
If attacks like these ever get to the point of being engaged, the banks will know before you do. They could already solve the problem before the media confirms the plan for the attack has been executed. There is no way customers have their money at risk. Federal law requires that banks are liable in the event of a security breach, and there is no bank that wants to be liable for a potentially large amount, so the companies have a very strong incentive to be very proactive and protect their customers.I may criticize banks often, but security is one area where the needs of the customers, shareholders, employees, and executives are completely aligned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV