Pressure On As Southern Co. Builds Nuclear Plant
Miller said Southern Co. knew that vendors might need to re-master nuclear norms since the industry had been dormant for years. He said the problems can be overcome.
"I think the big lesson and what we look at is you have to keep at it, keep at it, keep at it," Miller said.
He said the utility would not speed up construction at the expense of safety and quality. While the two existing reactors at Plant Vogtle were finished behind schedule and over budget, many observers consider them a prudent investment. Building costs were high, but the maintenance and nuclear fuel costs proved relatively low and steady.
"We're not going to plan on shortening the time schedule because getting it right is far more important," Miller said. "Get it right. There will be noise on cost, noise on schedule. Get it right. Long after you and I are dead this thing is going to be cranking out power."___ Online: Southern Co. Plant Vogtle: http://www.southerncompany.com/nuclearenergy/vogtle.aspx ___ Follow Ray Henry on Twitter: http://twitter.com/rhenryAP
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV