The fiscal cliff. It's not some mysterious outside force exerting its will on us. Our politicians own this thing. They can do the right thing. Whether it's now, before the New Year or somehow, some way in early 2013 with limited or no damage, they can make this right.
Inaction in Washington has already hurt millions. It has kept some people from spending and others from reinvesting. It has helped evaporate wealth many Americans hold in everything from stocks such as AAPL to housing.
If the worst comes out of the fiscal cliff, what has already happened will appear tame compared to the job loss and recession we're likely to face.
Tragedy often puts me in the mood to think positive. Let's hope it delivers some much-needed perspective to Capitol Hill and settles a situation we simply do not need to deal with as a country after, at least in parts, a particularly painful 2012.Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV