The fiscal cliff. It's not some mysterious outside force exerting its will on us. Our politicians own this thing. They can do the right thing. Whether it's now, before the New Year or somehow, some way in early 2013 with limited or no damage, they can make this right.
Inaction in Washington has already hurt millions. It has kept some people from spending and others from reinvesting. It has helped evaporate wealth many Americans hold in everything from stocks such as AAPL to housing.
If the worst comes out of the fiscal cliff, what has already happened will appear tame compared to the job loss and recession we're likely to face.
Tragedy often puts me in the mood to think positive. Let's hope it delivers some much-needed perspective to Capitol Hill and settles a situation we simply do not need to deal with as a country after, at least in parts, a particularly painful 2012.Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV