When they acknowledge a short-term glut of product, the oil bulls also assume this will kill other forms of burnable energy. (Heads I win, tails you lose.) Well, DuPont just broke ground on a new cellulosic ethanol refinery in Iowa, reports BioFuelsDigest, as part of a new boom in non-food biofeedstocks.
Biofuel companies that had been beaten down all year including Solazyme (SZYM) are proving they can deliver at scale, Seekingalpha.com reports, and start-ups are working on a whole new class of "electrofuels" that produce electricity directly from living matter, BiofuelsDigest adds. Biofuel producers say they can make money with today's prices, and that their costs are falling.
What about the sun?
Consider that solar energy is now cheaper in California than other forms of grid energy, as The Motley Fool reported in April, and that the UK will achieve "grid parity" next year, according to The Guardian. Industry Week expects half the country will reach this point by 2016, a tipping point that will dramatically increase demand.So we have increased production, renewables coming on stream, and lower demand, not just next year but the year after that and the year after that. What happens when fossil fuel producers start seeing that the value, per barrel, of reserves in the ground is declining, not rising? Anyone who thinks that renewable energy technology is going to stand still, or that efficiency is going to stop paying for itself, isn't paying attention. From an investor's point of view it's not yet morning in America but I can see the sun rising from here. Our energy future is surprisingly sound. At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @DanaBlankenhorn This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV