NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The hard times of the 1970s became the good times of the 1980s after oil prices were pushed down under the Reagan Administration.
It was a demonstration of "soft power," aided by the oil exporters, that helped win the Cold War but also ushered in wars we're still fighting.
The "secret sauce" of the Obama Administration is that it's working on the same trick -- but not through foreign policy jawboning. Instead, it's being done through the liberal use of fracking technology, and the encouragment of renewable energy (especially efficiency).
The big business story of 2013 will be that the energy crisis is over.In the last year we've seen the price of natural gas roll over. Flaring of gas in the oilpatch and a reduction in new gas production have gotten prices back to break-even. Now oil is in the process of doing the same thing. Energy producers are starting to notice their boom times are ending, as in this story
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV