The company went public again early last month at $24, and was greeted with enthusiasm, finishing the first day of trading at $31.10. Since then, shares are up another 12%. Wednesday's third quarter earnings release, the first since going public again, was fairly positive with revenue meeting the consensus, but earnings exceeding the 4 cents estimate by 3 cents. The consensus estimate for 2014 ($1.30) implies a forward price earnings ratio of 27. I did own this in its former publicly traded life, but am not interested now.
Last but not least, there's the old time high end retailer, founded in 1919 that I once again have my eye on. That would be Saks (SKS), a name I first purchased coming out of the 2008-2009 market debacle, when shares were priced for bankruptcy.
The company used that time to get its financial house in order, paying down debt, and strengthening its balance sheet. The company, with its $1.9 billion enterprise value, is real estate-rich, including its crown jewel Fifth Avenue New York store, which may be worth several hundred million dollars by itself, if not more. Saks currently trades at 1.33 times book value, and 21 times 2014 consensus earnings estimate.
I'd love to be able to take another position in this name at book value, and will be looking for that opportunity.At the time of publication the author had a position in RSH. Follow @JonMHellerCFA This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV