Discovery reached the deal with German TV company ProSiebenSat.1 Group for its SBS Nordic operations. The parent of the Discovery Channel said the deal, which gives the company networks in Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland, will expand its presence in the Nordic markets. The deal will also enhance its brand portfolio, giving it general entertainment, scripted and sports programming to its offerings for the first time. Discovery will also receive 19 radio stations.
The deal is expected to close in early 2013 and is subject to regulatory approval.
Discovery also announced its board approved a $1 billion increase to its stock repurchase program.
Yahoo! (YHOO) is trending as the search engine has signed a deal with security firm AVG Technologies NV. AVG creates search technology as well as antivirus and security software for computers and mobile devices. As a result of the "search and distribute" agreement with Yahoo!, AVG will offer users a choice of Yahoo! search algorithms when listing its "secure search" products. AVG Secure Search customers will also be able to choose Yahoo! as their preferred search engine. The two companies claim the search results AVG Secure Search will display will be better because of the agreement. AVG has more than 143 million users. Its Secure Search product helps protect a user's computer when using the Internet by alerting them to dangerous Web sites and protecting their identity and personal information.
Leap Wireless (LEAP) and MetroPCS (PCS)are other popular searches. The wireless carriers are now offering mobile phone financing programs.
The chatter on Main Street (a.k.a. Google, Yahoo! and other search sites) is always of interest to investors on Wall Street. Thus, each day, TheStreet compiles the stories that are trending on the Web, and highlights the news that could make stocks move. -- Written by Brittany Umar.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV