CARSON, Calif., Dec. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- With the Holidays just around the corner, AutoMD.com today released its list of the Top Five Must-have Tools for Your Do It Yourself (DIY) Garage . As the trend of longer vehicle ownership holds steady, many car owners are attempting their own DIY repairs. This holiday season provides the perfect opportunity to give the gift of auto repair so the experts at AutoMD.com have put together a gift list to equip veteran or aspiring DIYers' workspaces with must-have tools to maintain/repair their vehicles.
A troubled economy has spurred the trend of extended vehicle ownership. A recent report from AutoMD.com revealed that 60% surveyed drive vehicles with over 100K miles. Two-thirds plan to drive their primary vehicle for over 150K miles (or until it dies), and over half plan to rack up 75K more miles than on their previous vehicle 1.
And this is helping to drive more car owners to DIY vehicle maintenance or repairs, with many taking pride in doing so. According to the AutoMD.com 2012 DIY Report, 91% of respondents who normally outsource their repair work, are now open to performing their own basic repairs 2.
"Today's consumers are interested in the longevity of their vehicle, and more conscientious than ever with repair costs," said Brian Hafer, VP of Marketing for AutoMD.com. "With DIY car maintenance and repair a trend that appears to be here to stay, the Top Five Must-have Tools for Your DIY Garage are a unique gift idea - and with a range of costs, they can fit into almost any holiday budget!"AutoMD.com Top Five Must-have Tools for Your DIY Garage:
- Hydraulic Floor Jack and Jack Stands – A must have for any DIYer. A quality hydraulic floor jack and jack stand kit not only allows you to lift and secure your vehicle safely, but empowers you to complete auto repairs like replacing front brake pads and rotating the tires. Hydraulic floor jack and jack stand kits retail on average $80-$150.
- OBD2 Code Reader – An invaluable diagnostic tool for both new and veteran DIYers. The OBD2 code reader pulls the diagnostic trouble codes for most cars, light trucks, and SUVs released after 1995 – providing the first step in troubleshooting a check engine light or drivability problem. Many models also include an Internet USB cable ensuring the product can be regularly updated, guaranteeing compatibility with newly released vehicles for years to come. OBD2 code readers retail on average $40-$80.
- Digital Multi-meter (DMM) – A DMM is a hand-held device essential for troubleshooting electrical problems - useful for basic fault finding, the instrument can measure to a high degree of accuracy. As a bonus, DMM's can be used to troubleshoot electrical problems not only in vehicles, but in most basic electronic equipment, domestic appliances, power supplies, and wiring systems. DMM's retail on average $50-$100.
- Vehicle Specific Repair Manual – Even veteran DIYers need to consult the books occasionally. A quality repair manual will provide vehicle specific troubleshooting and How-to Guides for your DIY project. At a little under $30 each, the manuals provide an in-depth look at specific areas of auto repair and include step-by-step procedures, enhanced photos, troubleshooting guides, electrical diagrams, and valuable short cuts. While these manuals are a nice addition to the bookshelf of the dedicated, or aspiring DIYer, AutoMD.com provides many How-to Guides, Videos, and access to an Auto Answers forum - as well as an iPhone mobile app - all for the cost of typing in a url: www.automd.com, and these apps aren't as heavy as a manual. Plus, they're FREE.
- Air Compressor – A simple yet essential tool for your DIY garage. An air compressor allows you to not only inflate vehicle (or bicycle) tires, but it will provide the power needed to operate pneumatic tools. As a bonus, some of these portable air compressors include a 12-volt battery pack for jumpstarting the car in the case of a dead battery. Portable air compressors average retail cost ranges $100-$200.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts