Top 4 Risks to BlackBerry 10
You know what the most un-cool thing is about a power tool? Being out of power, that is what.
RIM should advertise the BlackBerry 10 keyboard smartphone as the device where you can do to the Hamptons for a week-long vacation, or survive a week under a hurricane, without needing to charge the device. Instead of a 1,400-1,900 mAh battery, a BlackBerry 10 should come with an integrated 5,000 mAh or bigger battery. Hurricane Sandy should be a BlackBerry commercial.
You should be able to talk and email incessantly for a week or more -- not seven hours as with my current BlackBerry. Seven days, not seven hours.
Nobody will complain that the device would be 4 millimeters thicker than it otherwise would have been.RIM botched the PlayBook launch in March-April 2011 in the most epic set of ways imaginable, and it was obvious to everyone outside the company. It was like watching a car crash live. RIM now has the capability to botch the BlackBerry 10 launch too: Just ensure that in order to buy BlackBerry 10, you have to sign a two-year contract, that you have to have a special data plan to operate it, and that it offers no significant battery life advantage over the competition. If RIM can just clear BlackBerry 10 off those mine-fields, and the competition doesn't finally emerge with a competitive keyboard, BB 10 could become successful even with a moderate application catalog deficit. We are all rooting for RIM now: Don't screw this one up. At the time of publication, the author was long GOOG and AAPL. Follow @antonwahlman This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV