Rewards Credit Cards' Bonus Spending Categories For Holiday Shopping And Beyond
Discover's cash-back bonus categories for 2013 are:
- January - March: restaurants and movies
- April - June: Spring style
- July - September: Summer fun
- October - December: Holiday shopping
It's worth noting that Discover's standard 1 percent earning rate only kicks in after you've spent $3,000 in annual purchases. Below that, you're only getting 0.25 percent, which is pretty mean. What's even more mean is that purchases you make in bonus categories don't count toward that $3K threshold.
Rewards credit cards and the golden rule
The golden rule, which applies during the holiday season and throughout the year, is not to use rewards credit cards unless you plan to pay down your balance very quickly. On average, they come with higher interest rates than non-rewards cards, and these can quickly eat up the benefits you may get from cash back, points and rewards.
Instead, use low interest credit cards for purchases that are likely to take you a while to pay down.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts