Don't Get Too Excited by Our 10 Fastest-Growing Professions
No. 3 fastest-growing career: Biomedical engineer
Projected 2010-20 growth: 61.7%
America's growing elderly population is creating lots of work for biomedical engineers, who develop cutting-edge medical devices.
"With the aging baby boom generation, there should be increased demand for hip replacements, knee replacements and other things that biomedical engineers work on," Morisi says.
She adds that biomedical engineers also help design advanced computer systems for medical record-keeping -- another "hot" product area.As a result, the BLS predicts the number of biomedical-engineering jobs will grow by more than 60% this decade. But like rebar work, the biomedical-engineering field is small -- so the profession (median pay: $84,670) will only add 9,700 jobs in numeric terms. Biomedical engineers also need the most education of any workers on the list of fast-growing occupations Most jobs require a bachelor's degree in biomedical engineering, or an undergraduate degree in some other engineering discipline plus a biomedical-engineering graduate degree or on-the-job experience.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV