Don't Get Too Excited by Our 10 Fastest-Growing Professions
No. 5 fastest-growing career: Carpenter's helper
Projected 2010-20 growth: 55.7%
Just as a rebound in U.S. construction will create lots of jobs for plumber/pipefitter's helpers, so too will increased building spark strong demand for carpenter's helpers, the BLS says.
The agency predicts America will add 25,900 carpentry helpers during the current decade -- a nearly 60% boost in the profession.
Like plumbing helpers, carpentry helpers (median pay: $26,400) generally carry tools and supplies to job sites, set up and disassemble equipment and assist with other tasks.And like plumbing helpers, carpentry helpers typically need no more than a high-school degree or GED, although some workers graduate from trade schools or lengthy apprenticeship programs. The BLS adds that employers often prefer military veterans, as well as candidates who have experience in several different construction disciplines.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV