Don't Get Too Excited by Our 10 Fastest-Growing Professions
No. 8 fastest-growing career: Physical-therapist assistant
Projected 2010-20 growth: 45.7%
The BLS expects demand for physical therapy to skyrocket in the next few years as baby boomers age and scientific advances help more and more accident victims and babies born with birth defects survive.
The agency expects much of the additional work to go to physical-therapy assistants instead of full-blown physical therapists, though, as insurers push to keep expenses down.
"Physical therapists are expected to use more assistants to reduce costs," Morisi says.That's why the BLS projects America will add 30,800 physical-therapy-assistants during the current decade -- a 45.7% gain. The agency predicts physical-therapy assistants, who generally need only two-year associates' degrees and earn a median $51,040, will find good job opportunities in the next few years in hospitals, skilled-nursing and orthopedic facilities. Assistants should find their skills particularly in demand in rural areas, which have fewer physical-therapy professionals than cities, the BLS says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV