Don't Get Too Excited by Our 10 Fastest-Growing Professions
No. 9 fastest-growing career: Plumber/pipefitter's helper
Projected 2010-20 growth: 45.4%
The BLS predicts construction helpers of all kinds -- from plumber's assistants to carpentry helpers -- will see job opportunities boom as the construction industry recovers from the recession.
The agency expects construction firms to add 26,300 plumber and pipefitter helpers during the current decade as orders pick up for new schools, offices, factories and power plants.
A growing U.S. population should also boost demand for new housing, while increased home-renovation work should create additional construction-helper jobs of all types, the BLS predicts.Plumbing helpers (median pay: $27,010) typically carry tools and materials for plumbers, as well as set up and break down equipment and perform other basic tasks. The job generally requires only a high-school or general-equivalency degree, although some plumbing helpers learn their craft through trade schools or apprenticeships. The BLS predicts helpers with training or experience in multiple construction disciplines (plumbing, carpentry, etc.) will have the best shot at getting jobs in the next few years. Many employers will also favor military veterans, the agency says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV