Don't Get Too Excited by Our 10 Fastest-Growing Professions
No. 10 fastest-growing career: Meeting/convention/event planner
Projected 2010-20 growth: 43.7%
Growing globalization is boosting demand for meeting and convention planners as U.S. companies rely on professional gatherings to bring employees and clients from around the world together for face-to-face meetings.
"As organizations become more and more international, they find meetings and conventions become more and more important," Morisi says.
As a result, the BLS expects the ranks of meeting/convention/event planners to grow by 31,300 this decade -- a 43.7% increase.Meeting and convention planners (median pay: $46,020) handle all aspects of putting together professional gatherings, from choosing locations and negotiating prices. The job generally requires a bachelor's degree (preferably in hospitality management), plus some work experience in planning, according to BLS research. The agency says employers also favor candidates with Certified Meeting Planner credentials, as well as those with experience working with virtual-meeting software and social media.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV