Don't Get Too Excited by Our 10 Fastest-Growing Professions
No. 1 fastest-growing career: Personal-care aide
Projected 2010-20 growth: 70.5%
Personal-care aides -- who perform many of the tasks home-health aides do but can't give medication or check vital signs -- should see the largest job gains of any U.S. profession during this decade, the BLS says.
The agency expects job openings for personal-care aides to grow by some 607,000 people during the current decade -- more than a 70% increase.
Like home-health aides, job opportunities for personal-care aides appear likely to soar because aging baby boomers need help remaining in their houses.And like home health aides, personal-care aides don't necessarily need even high-school degrees to get jobs. Personal-care aides earn only a median $19,730, though -- the lowest wage of any profession on the fast-growing-occupations list. And like home-health aides, personal-care aides also have high turnover rates because of the job's low pay and high stress.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV