Don't Get Too Excited by Our 10 Fastest-Growing Professions
No. 2 fastest-growing career: Home-health aide
Projected 2010-20 growth: 69.4%
Demand for home-health aides appears poised to explode in the next few years as baby boomers try to age in place and insurers attempt to minimize nursing-home and hospital costs.
The BLS expects U.S. employers to create some 706,000 home-health-aide jobs this decade -- a nearly 70% gain.
Home-health aides help elderly and infirm patients stay at home by assisting with bathing, dressing and light housekeeping. In some states, aides can also dispense medicine or check a patient's vital signs.While some home-health aides get special training and certification, you can sometimes get a job in the field without even a high-school degree, according to the BLS. That said, home-health aides don't make much money -- just a median $20,610. BLS researchers have also found that the profession has high turnover because of low pay and the heavy emotional toll of caring for the infirm.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV