Still, there isn't really anyone on the other side except Bank of America's lawyers, whose arguments can only be found amid untold thousands of pages of court documents.
Many of those arguments are difficult for non legal experts to assess.
For example, Bank of America argues MBIA didn't care the mortgages it was insuring were poorly executed until they dropped dramatically in value. That sounds plausible enough. But whether MBIA did care--and whether it matters if it cared or not--will be up to a judge to determine.
But much of the battle isn't about making coherent arguments as it is about strategic maneuvering. MBIA tries to amend its bonds. Bank of America tries to buy the bonds to block MBIA. MBIA buys some of the bonds to block Bank of America from blocking it. Bank of America argues MBIA's block was improperly executed.Neither side is sharing its strategy with the public, for fear of tipping its hand, so it's very difficult to know which will prevail. The analysts--Palmer, Haines and Fong--all believe MBIA is a double or better, and that's probably right if it gets the $3 billion or so they believe it has coming. If they're wrong, however, the downside would likely be severe. It's hard to know, however, without anyone arguing on the other side. -- Written by Dan Freed in New York. Follow @dan_freed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV