CHICAGO, Dec. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- United Continental Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: UAL) today announced that its Board of Directors has named President and CEO Jeff Smisek as Chairman of the Board effective Dec. 31, 2012.
Smisek replaces Glenn Tilton, who has served as Chairman of the United Continental Holdings board since October 2010, and who will remain a member of the board. Tilton served as Chairman and CEO of UAL Corporation from 2002 until October 2010.
Transition of the chairmanship at this time was part of the 2010 merger agreement between United Airlines and Continental Airlines.
"I want to thank Glenn Tilton for his many years of service to United Airlines," said Smisek. "Under Glenn's leadership, United became a strong competitor and sought-after partner."In addition, United today announced a realignment of its senior management team as the airline shifts to its post-integration phase. "Now is the time to begin the next phase for United, as we continue on the path to becoming the world's leading airline," Smisek said. "This structure aligns our senior management team to most effectively and efficiently meet the challenges and opportunities of this next phase." United is combining oversight of the airline's traditional sources of revenue with oversight of operations that deliver the product; combining oversight of IT, high margin products, strategy and customer experience; combining marketing and MileagePlus into a single marketing and loyalty organization and aligning it with IT; and combining eCommerce and merchandising functions. This realignment results in the following new leadership roles, effective today:
- Jim Compton assumes the position of vice chairman and chief revenue officer. Compton will oversee operations and the traditional revenue side of United's business. Pete McDonald, EVP and chief operations officer, will report directly to Compton.
- Jeff Foland will oversee the airline's marketing and loyalty, technology, strategy and customer experience groups, as EVP marketing, technology and strategy.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts