NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Debra Borchardt: Joy Global (JOY)reported its earnings. They had kind of a gloomy outlook on mining. Jim, let's talk about that. I mean, clearly coal has pulled way back because a lot of the power companies are going to nat gas because it's so cheap.
Jim: Yeah, and also an activist EPA. In the second term ofn Obama a lot of the coal plants that were built in the Jimmy Carter era -- which were meant to last 40 years so do the math -- are coming to their natural end of their life and could be extended. Perhaps you put more filters on them, you do what it makes it so coal is a little bit cleaner. But to me it's an end game.
I mean, I think honestly if these coal plants weren't in coal states you would already see them be phased out more aggressively. I think that the executives there are caught among the rate payers, the coal miners and the EPA. But overall coal is going away in this country. Now, Sutherlin, CEO of Joy, knows it's a China play, it's an India play, it's a refurbishment of current material play. What I took heart in that one line in the release, which was that the electric use of China continues to go higher, which is an unrejiggered statistic that is like a lot of people are saying like their PMI number is phony or this number is phony or that number...you can go on, but electricity demand is going higher in China and I think that's industrial, it's consumer...
Debra Borchardt:They love coal.Jim:... and yes, they do love coal. In my fantasies, I envision slapping tariffs on them for all the jobs they took from us, and then making stuff that pollutes the earth, and then they send it back to us. I was just going over that with my very environmental, anti-pollution daughter, and I said, 'Listen, China is the problem.' China is addicted to coal and China is the problem for the global warming, but it sure isn't the problem for like Sutherlin and Joy. It's good news.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV