News Summary: Gold Falls Over US Budget Talks
By The Associated Press
BUDGET UNCERTAINTY: Gold fell below $1,700 per ounce for the first time in about a week. Investors are uncertain about what's ahead for the economy because the U.S. budget remains unsettled.
WHAT'S AT STAKE: Republicans and President Barack Obama appeared to be far from reaching a compromise on a new budget. Tax increases and spending cuts will take place Jan. 1 without a budget in place. Many economists believe that could send the U.S. into a recession.
MIXED BAG: Prices fell for gold, industrial metals, oil, wholesale gasoline, wheat and corn. Orange juice futures and soybeans rose.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV